Saturday, June 19, 2010

Takin' Out The Engine...

So I had the bike right where I wanted her, stripped down and almost at 3rd base. I had spent several days with my hands all over her caressing the wires and everything else off. I had been as gentle as possible but now it was time to seal the deal and pop that engine out. I knew it was not going to be too easy as most of the engine bolts and mounts had not been touched in 20 odd years. At first I used a gentle touch and didn't want to force anything. The nuts were putting up a bit of a fight coming off those bolts. I decided what was needed was a little bit of lube. I got some Liquid Wrench and squirted it all over the tight fasteners. They loosened up nice and using my ratchet, a little muscle power and a firm grip I got the nuts off. With all the motor mounts and brackets off it was time to lift the engine out, but it just didn't seem to want to give. It was rocking forward and back but wouldn't come out. I knew I must be missing something. I reached my hand down and fondled underneath her for a bit. I found it! One last fastener I had missed hidden at the bottom out of sight. Once I got that off the engine came right out...I guess I still got the magic hands.
Man, I can't wait to ride her...

For now I just have the engine sitting half in a milk crate. For my next blog post my father-in-law and I have an engine stand in the works. I've seen a few different ones fabricated for this particular motor so I have some specs and we're going to weld one together. It will make it possible to work on and rip apart the engine while it is out of the frame.

Well, looking forward to this evening cause tonight I'm head'in out to my friends bar to check out the wicked awesome band The Sunparlour Players. I look forward to seeing them every time they're in town. Check out their website http://www.myspace.com/thesunparlour.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and don't be afraid to leave any comments. Also, anyone that is interested in helping out can send me some cheddah. $Fiddies and $hunges only please.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment